The house-museum of F. M. Dostoevsky is located in the city of Staraya Russa, Novgorod Region, on the embankment of the Pererytitsa River. Dostoevsky's museums are in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The house-museum in Staraya Russa differs in that it is the only house that belonged to the Dostoevsky family on property rights.
In 1872, the Dostoevsky family, on the advice of friends, decided to go to Old Russa for the summer. They settled in the house of priest Rumyantsev, and already in 1873 Dostoevsky rented a two-story wooden house on the Pererytitsa embankment. The house belonged to retired lieutenant colonel A.K. Gribba. Soon Gribbe died and in May 1876 Dostoevsky bought a house with a garden from his heirs. The house was the first real estate of the writer. Until that time, the Dostoevsky family lived only in rented apartments.
Here were written "Demons," "Teenager," "Brothers Karamazov," and other works. The foundation date of the museum is considered May 4, 1909. In 1918, the Starorussky City Council declared the house "an inviolable historical and literary monument." The house was transferred to the "full and free use" of the Old Russian Department of Public Education. The Dostoevsky house survived, surviving the revolution and the Civil War. In 1931, a memorial plaque was installed on it.